Mini Forum for mini people

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:37 am

Had another fiddle today - only it didn't go well again...

I fitted the duplex timing gear back on (and this time fitted the correct amount of shims behind the crank pulley to get them both in-line).

I assumed that the cause of this damage was due to the incorrect spacing of the above pulley..

But unfortunately, the pulley was still too close as it is the wrong type (Its an A+ not an A) and has the extra part on the back giving you the ability for locking the crank for tightening up the larger crank bolts to their respective torques..

Having rooted through my many parts, I have plenty of them, but only the later type pully's. I may have sourced one but can't check it for a couple of weeks due to work.

So... I decided that wasnt going to stop me because that can be fitted later, and I can crack on with the rest...

Only to be stopped when checking the oil pump, as this is badly scored inside too.

I have other spare oil pumps, in better condition, but seeing as this engine has cost me quite a bit so far, a new oil pump is probably a safer option to 'protect' all the work..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
slim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:15 pm

oh errr shinny block

oh errrrr not so shimmed pulley

oh errrrrr groved oil pump ..

i would go for the new pump especialy the cost of the engine ........ keep us posted
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:18 am

I started on the head yesterday evening and completed it tonight..

Inlet port before valve lapping began

Exhaust port before lapping

Close up of seat before

Seats after lapping

Valve before lapping

Valve after lapping

No.1 valve going back into head

All 8 valves back in

Head ready to refit (temporary gasket fitted - don't have an 11 stud version at the moment and I will be replacing it once the engine has been lifted in to the engine bay)

Hi-Lift rockers re-fitted

ARP (Automotive Racing Products) bolts and nuts

Back to top Go down
View user profile
slim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:57 pm

i am dribling all over that ...... you can see the money now
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:10 am

Looking very nice all this. Keep it up.... Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:37 am

Had another couple of days to work on the mini this week..

Started on wednesday with the straight-cut gear system I fitted into a fully rebuilt gearbox. Completed the 4 pin diff assembly and sealed all the gaskets.

This was then fitted to the engine

On thursday, the transfer case was fitted, the clutch assembly and all the ancilliaries (except the fuel pump as I had no gaskets..)

On friday, I fit the fuel pump and gaskets then got ready to lift it all into place

Mid lift... (note the quick-release poly engine mounts for when it all has to come back out again lol..)

ALL IN!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:52 pm

What a lovely car this is. All work done to high standard. Well done. Very Happy

Why on earth have you put a straight cut gearbox on it though. You going racing? They are horrible things. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:47 am

ALWAYS loved the noise one makes - since i first heard one back in '96...

dont want drop gears tho cos theyre TOO noisy lol

my 'spare' engine will be the 1293 to the same spec as this, but with normal g/box too, so if it all goes horribly wrong..... Wink

i like the back up plan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:46 am

Today I fit the petrol tank, followed by the carpeted boot install

Then found that the new seal for the bootlid caused a minor 'fitting' problem

Then onto the passenger door - note the electric window system has been left out for now..(having problems with fitment)

The old chrome spotlamp bar was looking a little tired...

So a little polishing later...

hmm.. only kidding - its a new stainless version!!
also fitted the indicators.. not sure if im going to leave new orange lenses on, or go back to clear as I had on before.. depends on how she looks when completed I suppose...

Oh, and a new chrome item arrived thanks to eBay..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:04 am

Well today was gonna be the last day for a couple of weeks due to work and mini events taking up all the rest of my time. (No photos taken today - oops)

So, I removed the electric window assembly from the drivers door and refit the original winder mechanism, and all the door furniture. Then moved onto the dashboard and wiring harness for the front end.

A pair of new choke and heater cables were fitted and a new water temp guage (electric) as the old capilliary type got wrecked when it was put in last time. The bulkhead blanking plate I had modified to fit still needs to be modded some more to allow the main beam lamp to fit properly.

I also had to raise the front hi-lo's as the n/s was sitting rather close to the arch - think I require two new rubbers now (oh well..)

Then, seeing as my parents are back this weekend and would probably like their living room to resemble itself rather than a campsite, I had to tidy my other garage to enable me to fit both Yellow and The Mistress in at the same time, whilst enabling me to use my garage to store Nicola's trailer and all the camping equipment ready for the Dales Run and Mucky Duck weekends.

That alone took me most of the afternoon - my god I have a lot of... errm.... parts?? No, thats not quite right... Spares??... Nope... Crap!! Ah yes that sounds about right lol. A bit of a tidy is needed lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:09 pm

its definatly taking shape .... electric windows ..... whats wrong with elbow power ......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:56 am

Time to carry on with the project again lol

Today I got the triple clocks fitment completed

after playing around with the bulkhead blanking plate I had been modifying from a Mk3..

which is then covered by the bulkhead carpet

Then I got round to fitting the last piece of glass... the windscreen

and then set about the rear subframe rebuild with my newly rebuilt arms (CHEERS IAN's DAD!!)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
slim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:49 pm

looking good Dale ...... especialy with the mistress on the glass
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:04 am

I'm sorry, but there's no way I can keep up with Dav's build speed.. he must have some Elves helping him on an evening just like the shoemaker lol

It's starting to get to the jobs now where they seem to take all day but don't look like you've achieved much...

N/s Headlamp re-wired and fitted (I have also re-wired the O/S, but cant fit it due to using the hole for pulling the car out of the garage still..)

Battery cut-off switch fitted (note the bypass fuse for keeping some items powered)

After removing the petrol tank to refit the rear suspension assemblies, it was re-fitted and has the tank cap now on (dummy neck still to do the same)

Dash shelf supports made out of hardboard and dash shelf and surrounds fitted

Steering column/wheel has been rebuilt and polished and front seatbelts fitted too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:01 pm

interesting bracket for the switches ...... i always struggle with my seating position to reach great idea ...

Dale your better looking that Dave ..... the build is coming on what do they say slowly slowly catchy monkey ....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:51 am

The brackets for the switches are standard Mick, there not normally seen because of the dash padding (which is new so has to be trimmed to size before I can fit it fully).

Being a mk2 style, theres only the wiper and headlamp switch there anyway ( and someone replaced the manual washer jet pump with a brake fluid switch for the electric pump too..)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
slim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:19 pm

interesting never realised its an age thing ..... can't wait to see the finished rail ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:38 am

Had some spare time at last (and some dry weather lol) so yesterday I fitted the handbrake cables, only to hit a snag and have to remove it all again as the cables didn't want to reach the handle correctly.

So this morning, I had a trip to Minispares to sort it out. The cables are ok, the quadrants ok, but the levers inside the hub are from a Mk1 or hydrolastic setup and cause problems. I bought some new arms and came home to refit them..

This is how the car looks as of yesterday morning..

The interior so far (note the steering wheel is from the old project)

Mistress' steering wheel all polished and new centre hub fitted

Brake setup all complete for the umpteenth time

Underside all fitted and nice and clean (will be getting treated to underseal once the car is all complete)

Handbrake lever all fitted

After this, I fitted the seatbelts properly along with the carpets for the crossmember, sills and rear floorpan, but it was getting too dark for piccies and so if the weather stays fine, I will be continuing tomorrow..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:22 am

Here is the pic of the rear carpet and crossmember

And the front carpet ready for holes marking out

The heater and dash rail padding

Replaced the steering column and fitted the shroud

Then I went onto the front n/s brakes and fitted the caliper and braided hose. The next job was to bleed the brakes, but this is when the next snag showed up - need a new master cylinder now...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sad act
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 pm

Looking brill Dale Smile

Too much anger and not enough love.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:04 am

Cheers Dan - shoudn't take much more.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:08 am

I've managed a few more days working on the Mistress..

I fit the gear linkage last monday, as this is the first job i needed to do on getting the engine all connected up..

I had a trip to Minispares this monday and got a new brake master cylinder and head gasket set.

After removing the front carpets, the new brake master was fitted, then it was time to go to work, so it was all put back away till wednesday.

On wednesday, i refitted the front carpet and started on bleeding the brakes. The calipers have been sat for a while too (coming on for 4 yrs now..) and so they had to let me struggle..
I managed to get the system bled. and started with the clutch. I fitted a new chrome mounting plate and then fiddled about for 30-40 mins trying to get the slave mounted and pin into the clutch arm..

Then when trying to bleed it all.. the clutch master cylinder decided to seize.
On thursday, I had another trip to Minispares and bought a new clutch master cylinder and a silicon bottom hose (the other hoses can be fitted once everthing else is complete, but the bottom hose would stop me from fitting the rad etc.)
The clutch master was then fitted..

This was then bled and seemed to be much better than the brakes?! I started on the brakes again and found I had to strip each caliper and clean all the debris that had managed to come loose and block the bleed nipples.

On friday, I was going to bleed the brakes again, but i've just run out of brake fluid, so that'll have to wait for later.
So I started on the rear brakes and got the shoes all set up and hand brakes equal. Then gave the inside of the arches another coat of paint (never can be too thick under there lol). Then I fitted the heater intake pipe inside the front o/s arch.
I then notice the wheels again... I have bought some new alloys from Bingley Hall, but these need tyres and with the old alloys tyres being legal and new tyres costing 200 quid.. i decided that the old ones will do for getting it through the MOT... So I gave one a paint to see how they looked..

Old wheel..

How they should look...New wheel (replaced due to accident..)

And with 1st coat of paint..

Hmm.. not sure - suppose it'll do for now

Then my attention turned back to the engine bay... With the gear linkage all done, the next item on my agenda was the exhaust manifold/system. I cleaned up my trusty Playmini (had this on my minis since 1998 and it still looks fantastic..)

Then i cleaned up and wrapped the LCB

Then a trial fit to ensure all joints are ok so I wont struggle underneath the car when fitting

Then I started on removing the cylinder head as this still needed the gasket doing before I started on the rest. As it happens this is when I remembered that I never fit stem seals on the valves, so this is still to do.

Then it started to get dark again, so it's all been put away till next time..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:33 am

Looking good all this Dale. Good to see you at Mini show. Hope you can get it done and out on some runs this year. Doesn't look too far off.... Smile

My blue Mini sat for 6 months in the garage and the clutch arm/shaft seized. I would put a drop of oil on the shaft and pivot arm to prevent this happening to you. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Thu May 16, 2013 7:47 am

It's been a while since I did any updates on this thread, so here goes...

A while ago (2nd march and 9th april) the head had been removed and new stem seals fitted, head gasket replaced with 1275 type and all torqued down..

Today the car is as this..

The rear of the car has been completed with a properly fitting bootlid, stainless exhaust fitment completed, and overriders fitted (need seals on them tho)

The engine bay as it is at the end of todays work..

Not much left now it seeems - haha, that's been said before lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   Mon May 20, 2013 2:12 am

its looking really good ....... i miss being around the minis ...Roxie flew through MOT .... at the start of May i got to drive her for 20 mins .... but she don't look as sharp or polished as the Mistress... keep us posted
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present   

Back to top Go down

The Mistress rebuild - March 2009 >>> Present
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next