Minirenegades
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Minirenegades

Mini Forum for mini people

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)

Go down 
+2
slim
AGoaty
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
AGoaty

AGoaty

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) Empty
PostSubject: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 6:39 am

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but there didn't seem a place for members cars as before..... Shocked

After visiting various events last year and seeing quite a few Mini's with the K series engine fitted this seemed a brilliant idea.

Advantages of the conversion, more power, better fuel economy, 5 speed gearbox, a lighter Mini (20kg less than standard), better brakes and all the parts used are off the shelf items.

Disadvantages are mainly the difficulty of the conversion, wiring (although I have tried this before so quite hopeful in this area), having to use 14" wheels.

So I've done my research. I've talked the talk to the guys at Watson Rally who will supply the conversion kit. They make it sound easy so I'll report any drama that takes place during the fitting.

I needed to find an engine and gearbox from a Rover or MG. It could be any of their range but I have bought this.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) Rover200Vi

It's a Rover 200 Vi with the 1.8 VVC engine fitted. It has got a receipt with it to show the cylinder head has had valves, guides and uprated head gasket fitted. Once this lot has been removed the rest will be sold to try to recover some of the money back! I bought the car for £250 with MOT and tax until April! Shocked I drove it home and it's quick!

I need to find a Mini shell ASAP now as a donor for the project. Anyone with info please pm me. Idea

Last edited by AGoaty on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 11:52 pm

sounding pretty interesting ..... classic mini bits on thornton road seem to have a lot of minis stood doing nowt Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:00 am

slim wrote:
sounding pretty interesting ..... classic mini bits on thornton road seem to have a lot of minis stood doing nowt Very Happy

I've rung them. They have a few round nose Mini's for sale at the moment. All of them have a sunroof and it's one of my dislikes as they leak. They had a Clubman last week but they had sold it the day before I rung. Grrrr. Mad
Back to top Go down
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 9:59 pm

I Have a body shell going free if you want it - no v5 tho so u'd need to be re-shelling a rusty project (well rustier than this one lol).
It has had the front end removed and also one inner wing removed, so would be easier to fit a clubman innner wing to, just the other side to replace or modify...

It also needs attention on both sills and rear valance (&small hole in boot) - rest of shell is sound...

Pics are here....

https://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee467/minishell98/

(the first pic shows the inner wing on the car but it is not welded in place...)
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 11:29 pm

Well thank you very much! I can't turn that down. Very Happy

Let the fabrication begin.... Cool

pm sent.
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 12:11 am

AGoaty wrote:
Well thank you very much! I can't turn that down. Very Happy

Let the fabrication begin.... Cool

pm sent.

i could feel it in my waters round nose conversion lol!
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 8:31 pm

If I am to get the extended front end for my Mini what do our members think I should get?

Clubman or extended round nose. Steel or fiberglass. So much choice! Very Happy

Kyle says Clubman.

Luke says round nose.
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 7:31 pm

how would you like it to look ........

Clubman can hide all underneath ...

Fibreglass ....... itchy stuff ...... but light .... and durable

round nose extended panels ... a lot of thought in fabrications

mini pimlico conversion with the engine coming coming through the bonnet now thats radical ....

or even one for the hardy out there

http://www.muddybuggies.com/freestyle-kit-car-build-manual.html

Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 6:38 am

The engine is almost ready to be remove now. All ancilleries have been removed drive shafts out wiring plugs off. I've borrowed an engine lifter for this job.

There's always a nut that won't come off causing time and effort. This one was the exhaust manifold to front pipe nut. Someone has rounded the nut before we got there so will have to drill it out when out of the car.

Kyle has removed the dash and we can now hopefully get the entire wiring loom out. This does look interesting as there's tons of it! Not like a Mini.....

Still waiting for a reply from Dale....
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 12:00 am

Hi Andy Dale works nights / shifts so might be 3 on / 3 off ...... ill send a pm on fabmoc as well ....

rgds slim
Back to top Go down
la rossa

la rossa

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 12:28 am

Was with Dale yesterday and he mentioned this Andy

I think he's off Tuesday as he was working last night. probably will be on line this afternoon when he gets up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 6:09 am

To be honest I'm not rushing to get the shell as removing the parts required from the Rover may take a week or two. Ideally I want to get rid of that shell then get the Mini.... Rolling Eyes

As long as he's still interested in giving it away thats great for me.... Cool
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 4:24 am

I've been to see the shell that Dale has offered me and it's a deal! Cool

It does need quite a bit of welding work done to it but as it's a bargain I can't turn it down. Smile

Hopefully I can get the engine painted this weekend.

I may also try to remove some of the excess wiring from the loom.

All this work is getting in the the way of the runs! Sad
Back to top Go down
la rossa

la rossa

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Nice one glad Dale was on hand to help.

Will you popping down to the Magpies meet on the 6th March?

Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 3:03 am

la rossa wrote:
Nice one glad Dale was on hand to help.

Will you popping down to the Magpies meet on the 6th March?

I'm sorry but as I work nights I haven't been able to get to any of the meetings! I do try to get onto the runs though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 7:15 am

The engine is out. Very Happy

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) VVCengine1-1

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) VVCengine2-1

All wiring is out too but needs excess wires removing.

I said that I would report any drama in doing this job and I've had some already. I dropped the engine onto my finger. When I stopped crying I took a photo. It has got a lovely shade of black since this was taken, and the photo of the engine has my blood all over it!

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) VVCengine-1

I had a few parts on ebay that the rest of the car had left on but not had a lot of interest. Only thing that has sold is the headlights which I got £30 for. I also sent back the tax so hopefully will get 2 months back from that. The alloys are the same as Sammy's MG so she can have them. The rest will go to scrap this week.

I'm hoping to get my transport sorted for next weekend to collect the shell from Dale.
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 9:33 pm

OUCCCCCCH affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
la rossa

la rossa

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 12:21 am

OMG and thought it was just minis that bite like that. it must run in the Rover family Twisted Evil

Hope the fingers on the mend X
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 2:39 am

The finger isn't looking too good if truth be told but it hasn't done any long term damage so it will get better about October I reckon. Shocked

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) Ouch

Anyway I have now scrapped the Rover. I got £100 for it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
la rossa

la rossa

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:27 pm

Glad its on the mend.

Good call on the scrap
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 4:59 am

Right an overdue update. Smile

I got the shell from Dale last week and brought it home. I also got from him some doors, repair panels and glass.

During the weekend I kept looking at the amount of work needed on this shell. I had a mate who welds to look. We came to the decision that there was too much work. Also he said that the shells from the MPi Mini's are made from thinner metal and they will always rust faster than an older one. So I'm sorry Dale but I have scrapped it. Sad

Since then I have found a much better shell from a round nose Mini which has had an accident at the front. Ideal to cut it off and fit a clubman one onto. I have bought this as a full car.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) Pagent
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 6:17 pm

Things move fast in your household .... this one looks on the whole more useable .... keep us posted ....
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 2:58 am

The Mini is taking shape.

I have stripped out the front and rear subframes. The front one dispite the crash, was in decent condition. I got the 850 engine running and then sold the lot on ebay.

The speedo was the old type with the two gauges on the edges. I sold them to the guy who bought the 1971 Mini!

The Mini has got black vinyl seats. I have sold them to Lee along with the rear subframe which I thought was poor. He's doing the welding work for me.

Basically the car now is very cheap.

I now have to start putting new panels onto it. I have got new front floor pans, both outer sills, both door steps, A panels, boot repair panel, rear valence, battery box and boot hinge repair panel. These have cost £108. I still need to decide about steel or fiberglass front.

As anyone knows when starting these things, when you get back to a shell you find more work to do, Hence the long list of panels. Sad

Lee has offered to do the welding for a price. He's highly qualified and very good. He's looking for work at the moment so if anyone want s anything doing let me know. cheers

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) Panels005

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) Ongoing001

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) Ongoing007

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) Welding001

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) Welding002

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) Ongoing008
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 4:33 pm

taking shape... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) EmptySun Apr 17, 2011 3:34 am

I have been and collected the subframe kit from Watsons. It comprises the adapted subframe from a Rover Metro to fit the K series engine and PG1 gearbox which my VVC engine has. It has turrets welded to it to hold the coil springs with adjustable ride height. Gaz adjustable shocks. 80mm wide spacers for the rear wheels to allow the track of the Mini to be the same front and rear. All these parts are new. Very Happy

Also supplied are the top and bottom arms and driveshafts with 9.25" discs and calipers from the Metro. The steering rack from a Metro is used as it fits to the subframe rather than fixing to the bulkhead like a Mini. These parts are used items.

It also comes with a DVD of how to fit it. Cool

I am looking into the possibility of fitting the Rover Vi brake setup onto here as it has 10" vented discs. I'm struggling to fit the brake servo, so have decided to try it without but fit big brakes instead. The rear brakes are a simple upgrade, by fitting the wider shoes from a front drum braked Mini, into the back. These are 1/4" wider and give better stopping power.

The welding is almost done now to the body. Thanks to Lee. Very Happy He's spent about a week here now working whilst I was asleep! I have removed the union jack stickers (6 hours Mad) Next step will be painting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) Empty

Back to top Go down

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next