Minirenegades
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Minirenegades

Mini Forum for mini people

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)

Go down 
+2
slim
AGoaty
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
slim
Admin
slim

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 4:40 pm

It also comes with a DVD of how to fit it. i would need a mechanic with the DVD lol

it sounds like its coming along at a right pace now ..... apart from the stickers ..... theres a warning for anybody out there .......
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 6:57 am

I have been and bought a steel front end off a Clubman from Classic Mini bits at Bradford. Very Happy

This will need fabricating onto my Mini once the rest of the welding is finished. (ongoing) Sad

I need a Clubman bonnet if anyone has one for sale....
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyFri May 06, 2011 2:05 am

Most of the welding is now done. The front is photographed butted up to the Mini and will need welding.

I have had the front subframe trial fitted onto the car. This wasn't easy as the bolts didn't seem to line up. Anyway after a few adjustments, it fits now. Plates have to be welded onto the floor as the new subframe has solid mounts here. (photo)

The rear subframe has had to be welded as it wasn't in too good shape after a grinding up to remove the paint.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Welding005

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Welding004

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Welding003

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Welding007
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:12 pm

its looking good ..... youve got a very sunny view from your drive way Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2011 4:31 am

More drama. Sad

This time I'm not impressed with Watsons for not fully explaining what is needed to fit this kit. Basically it is suposed to fit under a Clubman front but it doesn't until you cut the front panel. This would leave a 2" steel bar from the subframe stuck out under the panel and look horrible.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Clubman003

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Clubman005

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Clubman004

So today it have sliced the ends and bent the front panel around the subframe. This looks better than I thought it might but is still not good.

Anyway Lee is coming tomorrow to weld it into place so I hope it's gonna be ok.

I have also entrusted him to fabricate some metal back into my doors. This is because they are full of filler/dodgy welding! Sad

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Clubman002

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Clubman001
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2011 5:27 pm

is it possible to put a flat sheet following the profile as an extention between the a panel and the wing to lengthen it ...
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 12:23 am

I know what you mean but the people at Watsons had told me it fit. I have used the Clubman front so that I didn't have to extend the wings. Rolling Eyes

After some modifications I have made it fit. It's not brilliant, but looks ok. I'll photograph it when it's finished and fitted.

What I had to do was slice the end of the panel up to just below the sidelights. Bend this section forward about 2" and then bend the lower part (below the square holes) back down flat. This can now be bolted to the subframe and will help to stengthen the front of the car. The issue now is trying to fabricate something to fill the gap between the front panel and wings as it's about 3" wide now! Shocked
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 8:03 pm

More frustration! Mad

Watsons told me to get engine mounts from a Metro/Rover 100. So after ringing about 8 scrapyards, I found one in Bradford. Went, took them off myself and came home only to find one fit, the other one didn't. So I rang him. He said "Oh you have got the 1.8. You'll need MG F mounts on the gearbox"! So I had to ring round again and found some at a different scrapyard, in Bradford. Came home and fit that.

The kit comes with a set of driveshafts from a Metro, but the CV joint is different. I changed the CV from my Rover's shaft to suit. Came to fit it and the driveshaft is too long. I need MG F driveshafts. Evil or Very Mad

So it looks as though I'll have to go back to the scrapyard again..... Shocked
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 11:50 pm

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Fitted004

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Fitted002

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Fitted003

Photo's speak for themselves. Cool

Rollin' rollin' rollin' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sad act
Admin
sad act

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 7:27 am

Looking good mate ... hang on in there ,.. lovin it...
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:33 pm

That looks beefy ................
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 12:22 am

Slow progress I'm afraid. Too many other commitments and holidays! Cool

The front end is on now. Various patches have had to be welded up as it turns out that it was rotten in a few places. New A panels fitted. The doors in the photo are rotten but I have obtained a pair of better ones but will need the hinges changing to fit them. The corner of the wings at the bottom will need something fabricating to fill the gaps where it has been pulled out to cover the subframe. Lee has told me not to worry about it as he'll sort this for me.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Fronton002

The clutch has been a nightmare to sort out. Various options have been tried. Most people opt for the hydralic clutch and fabricate a bracket to hold the slave cylinder, but A, I didn't have one, B, it takes up more room in the engine bay, C, I had the cable from the Rover. This has been a very interesting trial and error session which I do think is now sorted.

I have also adapted the steering column from the Rover, to fit into the Mini. This involved cutting down the shaft in length and removing one of the two universal joints. Many advantages of using this over the Mini one. A, I can use the nice steering wheel from the Rover, B, the switches are better, C, all the wiring connectors will fit from the Rover wiring loom.

The altenator has had to have a new bracket made as it didn't fit under the front panel and had a new shorter belt fitted.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Fronton003
Back to top Go down
sad act
Admin
sad act

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Looking good mate. lovin it ... i envy you in one way but then when you list the issue's you come up against .. it all comes flooding back Sad
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 12:27 am

Quite a bit done since last update. Cool

The seats from a Honda Prelude are in after fabricating suitable brackets to the floor.

The pedal box which has been a right pain is finally finished and in.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 PICT0173

Brakes and clutch now work as they should. All brake lines renewed. Cheers Peter for lending me the flaring tool. Wink

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 PICT0174

The steering column has been shortened and fitted too after fabricating new mounting brackets. This is now height adjustable like the Rover was!

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 PICT0175

Rear suspension is finished with new knuckle joints and Spax adjustable shock absorbers. Rear spacers fitted along with correct wheels.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 PICT0177

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 PICT0180

Front Gaz shock absorbers fitted.

Plenty more to do like fitting the wiring....

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 PICT0176

MPi fuel tank with pump in, and lines yet to be fitted.

Fabricating a bracket to hold the radiator and piping it up.
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 10:57 pm

i dont evnvy you with the wiring ...... its coming on really well ...
Back to top Go down
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 2:18 am

Looking good

They're some serious spacers lol

Good luck with the wiring - remember... red to red, yellow to yellow, blue to bits!!!
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:14 am

After another month of work it's coming along slowly. Shocked

Mini radiator is fitted backwards and at an angle, as pipes won't fit near gearbox the right way round.

Brackets for ECU, engine fuse box and expansion tank have been made. Cooling system is now all finished and filled with water. No fan as yet due to lack of space! I'll have to think about this at a later date.

Fuel tank is fitted and piped up along with new fuel lines.

A plate fitted to the bulkhead where the speedo was has been made to hold the Rover wiring which has been fitted and connected in the engine bay. The passenger fuse box has lots of wires which can be fitted into the same sockets and has been a week of "fun". Embarassed Anyway I do think this is now sorted, but I appear to have lost the alarm module from the original car so it still doesn't work! Mad Need to get it reprogrammed.

All the lights etc will need to have wires changed and lots of wiring to remove as the Mini won't have half the gadgets that the Rover had.

Hopfully my next post will included a video of it running! lol!
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 5:52 pm

i hope you got a heater in that there garage ........... itsa we nipper out there

keep us posted on the developments its sounds like a reight works of engineering
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Well after a lot of head scratching here we are! (Sorry about Kyle's cameraman skills!) Laughing

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Th_Brum-1

The wires not being used have been removed. The rest will need to be fit and tidied up.

Clutch and gears all work. Had a drive up and down my drive. (About 10m!)

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 12:04 am

Camera a bit shakey there ... one to many the night before .............

How did it feel to get moving ..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 2:06 am

It has been a lot of work to get this far so it is good to get it running! Very Happy

The altenator had siezed. This meant the engine would not turn over even though the wiring was correct but I only found this out after jump starting it and all hell being let loose under bonnet! Smoke and screaming from the burning belt (which was brand new). Embarassed

It was a little scarey driving it for the first time, but it was all ok. The accelerator pedal and cable weren't fitted so could only run it on tickover. It is now moddified and fitted. Brakes also worked fine but do seem to have a lot of travel. Hope this will improve when bedded in.

The wiring nightmare continues. I have pulled it all out now to shorten every wire as it's all about 4 feet too long! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:32 am

Nice one fella - looks like it wont be long now.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 5:50 pm

The wiring nightmare continues. I have pulled it all out now to shorten every wire as it's all about 4 feet too long!

4ft to long that just goes to show how short a mini is .....

on the serious side it looks realy good well done for keeping at it ....

will have to sort a run out when its road legal Wink
Back to top Go down
supercooper

supercooper

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 7:26 am

Won't be able to keep up -- took a ZR 180 for a test drive, and it was Quick!!!!
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 5:51 pm

supercooper wrote:
Won't be able to keep up -- took a ZR 180 for a test drive, and it was Quick!!!!

eeeeerrrrrrrmmmmmm can i feel a new aquisition coming on ...or are you thinking of an engine transplant.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next