Minirenegades
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Minirenegades

Mini Forum for mini people

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)

Go down 
+2
slim
AGoaty
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
AGoaty

AGoaty

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 10:20 pm

supercooper wrote:
Won't be able to keep up -- took a ZR 180 for a test drive, and it was Quick!!!!

They didn't do a ZR 180. They did a ZR 160 which is the same engine as mine but tuned more. Or ZS 180 but this is a KV6 engine and is much heavier and not really suitable to fit into an Mini.

Mine is 143 BHP as standard. The guy I bought it from gave me receipts he got from previous owner about head work. Now I don't know what that is but it's quick! As stated it would easily spin wheels in second and that's on 16" wheels. It's now got 13" on so will have quicker acceleration. Plus the exhaust has no cat in it now. In a car at half the weight will be a more power per tonne! It's gonna be fun..... Laughing

Anyway an update.

Wiring is back in the car and engine runs again. Still got all the lights, etc, etc to wire up but the switches and fuse boxes are in with wires running to each component. Just needs the ends sorting. I've quit today as it's too cold in the garage!

Here's the before and after photo's of the main loom. Third one is what I've cut out of the main loom. There's also more component wiring eg ABS and electric windows, sunroof, which has also been removed.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 Ongoing001-1

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 PICT0445

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 PICT0446
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 4:15 am

spagetti junction ........ better you than me....
Back to top Go down
supercooper

supercooper

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 4:38 am

Won't be able to keep up -- took a ZR 180 for a test drive, and it was Quick!!!!

It was a ZR160 Not a 180 Embarassed
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:24 am

Had a nice quiet Christmas and didn't do any Mini stuff at all. Now it's new year I can continue with Phoenix. Cool

Since fitting the engine and gearbox I have had a serious oil leak from one of the drive shaft seals. I have had to order one from Rimmer brothers as no-one had one locally. This has now been fitted and means that I can drive the Mini.

I've got the wiring in the rear of the car. The washer bottle has had to be put in here like a later injection model would have. Fuel pump and sender wired up properly. The rear Mk2 lights have new rubbers and now work as they should. Boot refitted with number plate light.

Next was the wipers. Had a lot of drama with this, but turned out to be a simple fix. Mad
On a Mini the wipers are fed by 2 power wires through the switch and earthed at the motor. On the Rover the motor is fed with power and the switches go to earth. I thought well it's only a motor, it can run backwards no problem! It did, but would not park at the end of each stroke. So I thought I'd wired it up wrong but after changing it around various ways I found that it was right in the first place and the park switch was faulty. So a new switch has been ordered. I now have wipers that work and have intermittent wipers too! Cool

The next thing is the headlight bowls. Basically the engine / radiator protrude into the area of the bowl. These need to be "adjusted" to fit.

Found this on you tube. It's the same engine as mine so gonna be good fun....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvAwd4WWH18
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:37 am

looks like .... that will be hard to keep up with ..... sounds awsome .......
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 3:55 am

Blooming cold working at this time of year so bobbing in and out to try to keep this moving along. affraid

Got my plastic headlight bowls from the Stafford Mini show last weekend. They have been heated up using the hot air gun and them reformed using a plank of wood to clear the radiator and engine timing cover. I've fitted and wired them up today with a new halogen lamp kit as the sealed beam ones are poor.

Cleaned up the grill and side lights I got from Classic Mini Bits and trial fitted these which seems all good. Very Happy

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 PICT0554

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 PICT0555

Just those silly corners to do next..... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 5:59 am

them corners look fine to me Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 6:32 am

It's been a while since last update so here goes to whats been happening.

Moorview had their open day. I got most of the parts I needed to finish Phoenix from there for £20!

I got a 2" RC40 back box
Top dash rail, vents and ashtray
Battery clamp
Various bolts and rubber mounts
An alloy wheel for a spare as it's the same as mine.

I hated the loudness of the exhaust which Lee had fitted to my car. It only used the middle box from the Rover as a back box and was very loud. So I've cut the long pipe and welded it back so the box is now in the middle and then fitted the RC40 to the end. It has a nice chrome side exit pipe and is no louder than a normal Mini but has a nice deep note to it. :p

I've been trying to get this ready for the road so needed to finish the front panel. This has been a pain and still not happy about it but don't know how to improve it. Basically it was rotten so we (Martyn) decided to cut the bottom off and just weld sheet along it to create a front apron. Then I had to make some spacer pieces to bolt it to the front subframe. It works ok but not the most attractive front apron.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 Newfront

Also took this which is my other Mini and Steve's in background!

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 Apropergarage

I'm trying to get the inside finished now. I have trial fitted the dash rails and have to mount the speedo onto a bracket from an 1980's Mini. I got some carpet from Stafford Mini show and have fitted them.

Hopefully not long now....Wink
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 6:07 pm

i have the feeling the front will grow on you looks wise compared to this ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mini_Clubman_SRV4_Concept_1974.jpg

the above link is :-
Mini Clubman SRV4 Safety Research Vehicle 1974. One of the vehicles British Leyland produced as part of a joint safety project with the Transport and Road Research Laboratory. It features: a strengthened passenger cell, impact resistant low-mounted bumpers, fully padded interior, and pedestrian-friendly bonnet, longer wheelbase with engine moved forward, high door sills and relocated fuel tank. This vehicle is kept at the Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon, UK.
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 am

Well I agree. It's better than that! Shocked

I'm hoping it won't be as noticeable when the lights and bumper are fitted. Cool
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 6:28 am

A bit more progress.

It's now the colour I want but will need another coat but this isn't bad for painting using a roller and paint brush!

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 IMG_0689

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 IMG_0704

Dash is in with the new switch panel finished. Inside I've cut the carpet but then removed it to paint the inside. I'll take some photo's when it's all fitted.

Wheel arches are not a good fit. The fronts are ok but the backs are nowhere near! That's Huddersfield spares for you....
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 9:01 pm

now the colour is applied it looks prerty stunning .....

i am liking the grey with black roof .....
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Aches are on but had to bend them and hold them in place with the screws. They're only just wide enough.

Bumpers, sidelights and indicators fitted. Grill painted and fit.

Front isn't too bad now. Might just get a finishing strip along bottom of apron.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 Arches004

Interior next.
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 2:18 pm

i love it ...... all that work then a single line

interior next .....

keep going its looking really good its a real credit to you a lot of hours ....

Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptySun May 20, 2012 2:58 am

Interior is fitted but need the dash finishing.

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 Interior

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 Interior2

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 Interior1

I don't know if anyone else dare do this but this is the cost of this project. Shocked

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 PhoenixSpentMoney

It's needed a track rod end for MOT, tax is free and I've just been quoted £368 to insure it.

This has been hours and hours of "fun". Lets hope it's reliable now! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Minisontour

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 9:11 am

Nice one mate... my 'project' has already set me back that much, and I haven't finished yet lol
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 5:15 pm

the interior looks well lush ....... and comfy

i statred reading the bill and i dear not scroll down but it doesn't seem bad .... then there are all your hours... tidy very tidy indeed
Back to top Go down
la rossa

la rossa

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Minisontour wrote:
Nice one mate... my 'project' has already set me back that much, and I haven't finished yet lol

Dale your a perfectionist Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
la rossa

la rossa

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyMon May 21, 2012 11:05 pm

Nice work I too like the colour works well :-)

Can't wait to see it in the flesh Very Happy

Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 9:40 pm

After showing up at my first club run, it let me down. Mad

The bottom radiator hose was a temporary pipe as at the time of building as I didn't have one the right shape. It needed a 180 degree bend and then a 12" straight to connect to the engine. I jointed 2, 90 degree pipes with a sleeve. This came apart in traffic in Ilkley. It's extremely tight and next to exhaust manifold. I put it back at the road side and got home ok. I already had been and got the correct pipe which is now fitted and I've had no more drama, even after a trip to Leeds and sat in traffic on a hot day. There is no fan fitted yet. I don't know if to bother as it never comes on in my MG.

I can report though it goes well! Very Happy Martyn can confirm this as the smile on his face tells a story! Cool
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 4:57 pm

AGoaty wrote:
After showing up at my first club run, it let me down. Mad

The bottom radiator hose was a temporary pipe as at the time of building as I didn't have one the right shape. It needed a 180 degree bend and then a 12" straight to connect to the engine. I jointed 2, 90 degree pipes with a sleeve. This came apart in traffic in Ilkley. It's extremely tight and next to exhaust manifold. I put it back at the road side and got home ok. I already had been and got the correct pipe which is now fitted and I've had no more drama, even after a trip to Leeds and sat in traffic on a hot day. There is no fan fitted yet. I don't know if to bother as it never comes on in my MG.

I can report though it goes well! Very Happy Martyn can confirm this as the smile on his face tells a story! Cool

only teething troubles after all the work ..... not bad
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 5:05 pm

3 of us in the car video the 0-60 time.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRBCBP-i1N4
Back to top Go down
la rossa

la rossa

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 10:46 pm

wow affraid
Back to top Go down
slim
Admin
slim

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 5:16 pm

i like ....................................... affraid
Back to top Go down
AGoaty

AGoaty

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 2:40 am

We had a good day at Mini in the park. Very Happy

Lots of drama too. Sad

Ran good all morning. I ran 14.9 and Martyn was doing alternate runs in my car. He was running 15.5.

After lunch was a different tale. First off after the break I made a fool of myself waiting for the other Mini so show at the line. The lights went green and I just sat there! Anyway the Marshall let me do a restart, which I was slow off the mark but ran 14.9 again.

Martyn ran 15.0 straight after that.

The next run is when the drama started. Waits in turn, then when I got to the line the Marshall saw my car was leaking water. They told me to turn the engine off and pushed me off the line. Gutted. Sad

So we pushed it back and refilled it with water to find that the radiator was leaking, big time. The temp of the car had not risen above average all day and there was still water in it so it's a good job they saw it before any real damage was done.

It's a standard Mini radiator in it. We went to the Somerford Mini stand and they had a new radiator, so I bought that. Changed it, filled with water and bled it, but it was too late to go on the strip anymore. So we set off home but there must of been an airlock in it and 2 miles down the road it started bubbling from under the bonnet. We had to stop and re bleed it. Some people stopped and asked if we were ok which is good to know that someone would of helped if we were truly stuck, but we sorted it ourselves and came home.

Anyway, a good day out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejv5wubPNNg&feature=player_embedded
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)   Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mini with K series engine. (Phoenix)
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next